Welcome to Showmanship-Patterns

The blog with patterns to practice showmanship with! These patterns may not be used for publishing or resale, however feel free to copy them for your own personal use!
I'll post my findings on these as we practice them ourselves! Happy practicing and we'll see you in the show pen!

Monday, February 23, 2009

Amy's Question...

Amy left me a nice comment from yesterdays post (pattern 34) and had the following questions:



  • With the look back portion: you would look over your left shoulder, correct?



To answer your first question Amy, YES you would look over your left shoulder...you want to make it EASY for yourself to see the judge without having to twist your body around...you basically just want to move your head...



  • Would you ever have to look over your right shoulder/across the horse ever? Or is that a big no-no?

To answer your second question, it really depends on the Judge and your pattern. Some judges don't care if you look back and others really do...so I always tell my clients to err on the side of caution...and here are a few manuevers where you would look over your RIGHT shoulder to the Judge:





  1. In this first manuever, you complete your 180, look back at Judge hesitate 1/2 a breath and then walk away...
  2. In the second manuever, you will look over your right shoulder AFTER your done walking AROUND the judge and think you are back in line with him/her (usually this is more a courtesy look than actual help for YOU...LOL).
  3. In the third manuever you have complete your 270, look over your right shoulder at the judge (over the horse's back) and then continue on with the rest of the pattern.

Now remember this is what I'd tell MY clients and there are other trainers/judges that MIGHT tell you differently... so keep that in the back of your head...

Amy, I will try to address the rest of your questions in another post at another time...this is going to take some drawing and/or picture taking on my part...

Happy Practicing!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow! A post with my name on the top of it! Very cool! Thank you so very much for the answer to my question. And no hurries with the rest of them. I'll see if there are any other questions I might have, it's always good for more blogging material. :D Thanks again - you are a showmanship wealth of knowledge!