Welcome to Showmanship-Patterns

The blog with patterns to practice showmanship with! These patterns may not be used for publishing or resale, however feel free to copy them for your own personal use!
I'll post my findings on these as we practice them ourselves! Happy practicing and we'll see you in the show pen!

Monday, May 26, 2008

Pattern 1, Difficult



Pattern Instructions

  1. Trot from cone 1 to cone 2
  2. Stop at cone 2 and back a serpentine to cone 4
  3. Perform a 180 turn
  4. Walk to judge and set up for inspection

Here's my findings for this pattern

  1. Starting with my horse's front feet at cone 1, I trotted until my horse's hip was even with cone 2. This allowed me enough room to make a smooth first arc.
  2. As you begin your back at cone 2, make a mental note of cone 3, because it becomes a blind spot. Do the same thing with the next cone.
  3. At cone 4 (and this is the hard part) you need to make sure that your PIVOT FOOT is in-line with the JUDGES LEFT SHOULDER, because when you do your 180 pivot you want to be right in front of him/her.
  4. Also note at cone 4, that you MAY have to urge your horse slightly forward for his/her spin because the horse might spin on the incorrect foot after all of the backing.

No comments: